Since 2011, the Festi Jazz International de Rimouski has devoted four shows in its festival programming to rising talent. After performances have been given, a panel selects a winner of the Festi Jazz Grand Prize among the four artists or groups. This selection is based on compositions, improvisation skills, presence onstage, arrangements and connection with the audience.
This award garners the winner with several opportunities to become better known, including opening for an established jazz artist during the Festi Jazz underway and the opportunity to tour both in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region and internationally, namely by taking part in Jazz à Vienne (France) and Jazz à Verviers (Belgium). The Festi Jazz Grand Prize winner also receives an invitation to attend the Réseau des Organisateurs de Spectacles de l’Est du Québec (ROSEQ)’s fall gathering.
The award is presented by LOJIQ.
Past Festi Jazz Grand Prize Winners
- In 2017: Charles Trudel Band
- In 2016: Hichem Khalfa Quartet
- In 2015: St-Roch Quartet
- In 2014: Quintette Carl Lacroix
- In 2013 : Benjamin Deschamps Quartet
- In 2012 : Nicolas Bédard Quintet
- In 2011 : Trio Jérôme Beaulieu (devenu Misc)
General conditions for applying for the Festi Jazz Grand Prize.
- Applications must be received and reviewed by a Festi Jazz International de Rimouski selection committee. Only the chosen applicants will be contacted.
- The panel is made up of a staff member of Festi Jazz International de Rimouski, a member of the media specializing in jazz, and an individual working in the jazz industry.
- Bands must be limited to five musicians.
- Applications from artists or bands performing a genre that is not considered to be jazz will automatically be rejected. However, the selection committee may accept applications from artists or bands playing jazz-style music influenced by other genres (e.g. blues, funk, Latin music, Afrobeat).
- Applications from artists or bands presenting music that is not deemed to be original will automatically be rejected.
- The Festi Jazz Grand Prize shows will be performed during the 33rd Festi Jazz, held from August 29 to September 2, 2018. The winners must be available for the entire duration of the festival. The selected artists or bands will be remunerated according to the Festi Jazz International de Rimouski’s Rising Talent Payment Policy and will receive free lodging.
- The winner of the 2018 Festi Jazz Grand Prize will be invited to give a 20-minute excerpt of their show during the 2018 Festi Jazz. However, the organizers cannot guarantee that this performance will be paid at Rising Talent Payment Policy rates.
- The winner of the 2018 Festi Jazz Grand Prize will receive promotional support from the Festi Jazz International de Rimouski. Note that the organizers cannot precisely guarantee all the opportunities that will stem from winning the award.
- To be considered a rising talent, the artist or band members must be age 35 or younger.
- An artist or band who has already been selected to take part in the Vitrine sur la relève (rising talent showcase) or who has already won Festi Jazz Grand Prize cannot apply a second time using the same material.
- All applications received after the deadline (Friday, March 9, 2018) will automatically be rejected.
- To enter, the artists must be Canadian citizens and live in Quebec.
- The winning artist or band of the 2018 Festi Jazz Grand Prize must make themselves available for various promotional opportunities, accept the conditions concerning compensation and paid expenses, and promote the shows, the Festi Jazz International de Rimouski and its tour partners.